Sunday, September 29, 2013

Falling off the wagon

I fell off the diet wagon on Friday.  So soon? Yes.  I will just say that Friday was an epic failure and reminder of why advanced preparation is always necessary regardless of what diet you are on.

My office had their district meeting.  I paid 2-3 months ago for the catered meal for our meeting. Earlier in the month they took our order for beef or chicken.  Day of meeting, it turned out that the catered meal would be barbecue and all the meat was slathered in barbecue sauce except for the potato salad and baked beans.  I had packed 3 packets, a snack bar, a sparkling ice drink, and a 32 oz water just in case.  There was a table full of breakfast and snack items and I did okay.  I was really hungry  at lunch so I mixed another IP drink and had 3 bottles of water.  I made the mistake of assuming the meal would have some veggies that I could eat and unfortunately for me, I didn't pack veggies or a salad that I could eat.  I found the pickle slices on the condiment table and put as many as I could before people started giving me funny looks.  Still, I made do.  I was fine.  Halfway through the afternoon, I was starving and they let us have a break.  Walked out to the lobby and they had set up a popcorn and candy bar for everyone.  WHAT?!  Popcorn with different toppings and bowls of candy for us to choose.  I texted my mom for support.  She gave me a pep talk and suggested I go outside for the break and walk around for a bit.  I held out as long as I could but I broke and made a beeline for the popcorn, candy corn, and sour patch kids.  I thought I would hate myself for it.  But no guilt came until the meeting was over.  I got to my car and I had left the headlights on.  No power to the car.  No willpower in my life.  It was tough.  Thankfully some co-workers gave my car a jump and I had a long hour and a half of rush hour traffic to berate myself over my slip up.

My son had a friend over to play that evening and once I had everyone picked up and made it home, it was dinner time.  I was starving and I had not set out any meat to thaw for dinner. So once again, willpower went out the door and straight to Taco Casa for a bean burrito.

I gave in to my cravings and gained 1 lb on the scale in the morning in punishment for my slip up.  I learned a lesson though and after a tough next day trying to get back on track, I realized that it was a lesson I needed to learn the hard way.  I set myself back not only with my weight the next day, but I probably won't make my personal goal for the week to weigh in under 300 lbs.  It's going to be tough, but I am still going to try my hardest to get as close to it as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment